Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s the minimum distance away that my child and I should either stand from, or walk around, the bus?
It’s recommended that passengers stand at least 10 feet away from the side of the bus as it arrives at the stop. When leaving the bus to cross the street, it’s important to do so from the same distance in front of the bus, not behind it, after checking to ensure both sides of traffic have come to a complete stop. If you’re crossing the street to get to the bus, then wait until both the bus and surrounding traffic has come to a complete stop. After the driver signals you to inform you that it’s safe to cross, you may commence crossing in front of the bus.
2. What are some safety tips that could be applied when inside the bus?
When boarding, passengers should use the handrail for maintaining balance and stability. Quickly, but safely, move toward the bus rear without pushing or crowding, and sit down with fellow passengers. No more than two in a seat is acceptable. Lastly, if you drop something while the bus is moving, wait until the driver stops the vehicle and helps you recover it.
3. What are some safety tips that should be followed when getting off the bus?
There are several tips to keep in mind. For example:
- Always wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before standing up
- Don’t push or play around
- Use the handrail to descend from the stairs to avoid falling
- Be careful not to allow loose straps, drawstrings, backpacks or other items to get caught in handrails or behind the doors
- Look to the rear of the bus prior to stepping off to ensure motorists aren’t approaching without stopping
- Immediately move 10 feet away from the bus
- Follow the tips provided in the first question when crossing
- Go straight home
Ethical Culture Fieldston School’s (Fieldston)
4. Where can I register for transportation for my Fieldston student?
- Prior to registering your student, you will have to contact us to obtain a password to access the Ethical Culture Fieldston School Transportation Request Form.
5. Are there any specific rules that Ethical Culture Fieldston School students should adhere to?
The following guidelines apply to the specified schools:
- Bus Conduct Rules for Fieldston Students
- Bus Conduct Rules for Fieldston Lower Students
- Bus Conduct Rules for Fieldston Middle / Upper Students
LAST UPDATED ON: THURSDAY 28, 2014 AT 1:05 PM MST
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.